DEPARTMENT OF DEVELOPMENT
Calvin Lawshe, Director
One Government Center, Suite 2250
Toledo, Ohio 43604
Visit us on Facebook
The Department of Development implements programs and provides services integral to achieving the goals of the City's Consolidated Plan. The Department of Development assists in the attraction, growth and retention of business and industry.
The staff's expertise in the use of incentives, including gap financing, tax exemptions and credits, land assembly and linkages to workforce development resources are utilized to preserve and enhance the municipal tax base and create employment opportunities for Toledoans.
The Department of Development encompasses the Divisions of Economic Development and Real Estate. In 2013, the Department will continue to eliminate barriers and assist in making Northwest Ohio a business-first environment by providing financial incentives, technical support and by promoting Toledo's strategic location.
KEY STRATEGIC LOGISTICAL INFORMATION
- City of Toledo is within an 8-hour drive of over 60% of the North American population.
- Downtown Toledo is within minutes of Toledo Express Airport, which enhances shipping services around the world.
- Toledo's Seaport offers low-cost shipping options for large freight and bulk commodities.
- Toledo serves as a hub and main artery for several large railroad-based intermodal systems (Norfolk & Southern and CSX).
- I-80 (Ohio Turnpike), which runs from the East Coast to the West Coast and intersects with I-75 in Toledo, offering a continuous transportation channel to all points of the United States.
- Situated along the Southwestern Shore of Lake Erie and the other Great Lakes, which provide 1/6th of the world's freshwater supply.
From a logistical standpoint, these attributes are enormously important to our local businesses. Simply put, Toledo's strategic location provides the benefits of speed and cost-effective access to many vital North American markets. When you consider the relatively low cost of capital and affordable operating costs in Northwest Ohio, it makes perfect sense to consider our region for an expansion or relocation project.
NORTHWEST OHIO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERS
The City of Toledo's Department of Development not only provides existing and prospective businesses with incentive programs and technical assistance, but also works intricately with many organizations operating within the Northwest Ohio Region. We wholly understand the importance that inter-agency communication holds, ensuring maximum efficiency of public funds and eliminating the duplication of services. The following are valuable partners that, along with our department, provide services and assistance that creates an overall business-friendly environment.
- Calvin Lawshe, Director - 419-245-1600
- Bill Burkett, Commissioner - 419-245-1692
- Angeline Lee, Staff - 419-245-1286
- Jeanette Morell, Administrator, Real Estate - 419-245-1431
- Terri King, Real Estate Records Clerk - 419-245-1452
- Fax: 419-245-1462