How can Toledo residents help the recycling effort?
Recycling works! Recycling is environmentally responsible, reduces waste and helps to preserve the City's valuable landfill space for future generations. Education is a cornerstone of an effective recycling program and Toledo residents are encouraged to keep these few things in mind when recycling.
- Placing non-approved materials into recycling carts harms recycling efforts in Toledo.
- One household that puts yard waste or other non-approved material in its recycling cart can contaminate 6-10 tons of carefully prepared recyclables. The whole load can be rejected by the recycling center and wind up in the landfill instead.
In the second half of 2016, the City conducted random inspections of recycling bins throughout the City to gauge how effectively residents were recycling. There were clear indications that more education and communication are necessary to minimize contamination of the recycling stream. Here are the top six curbside recycling contaminants, in approximate order of prevalence:
- Plastic film, plastic bags. MORE THAN 80% OF HOUSEHOLDS INSPECTED!
- Garbage, trash and/or food wastes
- Yard waste
- Wood debris & bulky items (shingles, broken furniture, tables, scrap, concrete, bicycles, etc)
- Packaging materials (foam, plastic wrap, dirty containers and boxes, etc.)
- Clothing, linens, etc
PLACE THE ABOVE ITEMS in the gray refuse containers, put out for monthly bulk pickup, or recycle elsewhere.
- Consumers should call Republic Services at 419-936-2511 with any questions about what belongs in their recycling carts.
- We need all of our citizens to be mindful in their recycling in order to have an environmentally successful program. PLEASE REMEMBER TO PLACE CLEAN RECYCLABLES ONLY IN YOUR BLUE BINS AND PLASTIC BAGS IN YOUR GRAY BINS
- Please read and follow the provided guidelines about recycling. CLICK HERE FOR CURRENT TOLEDO CURBSIDE RECYCLING GUIDELINES
- To recycle other items, check out the Keep Toledo/Lucas County Beautiful 2017 Recycler's List. CLICK HERE FOR THE 2017 KT/LCB RECYCLER'S LIST.
Let's help make recycling work in Toledo. It is a community effort to make recycling work well and residents can do their part by understanding and following these basic recycling guidelines. Your children and grandchildren will thank you!