Help Keep Toledo Walkable- Snow Angels Program Kicks Off
Toledo sidewalks are needed year round for use by students, postal workers, transit users, elderly, disabled, and any citizens who simply want to walk in our city. While many citizens naturally reach out to help one another, today the City of Toledo, Live Well and Toledo Public Schools launched a new program to “Engage all of Toledo” in helping to keep sidewalks clear after storm events. It’s called “Snow Angels.”
- The City of Toledo, Live Well and Toledo Public Schools are asking community members to help “Keep Toledo Walkable” by keeping their walkways clear of snow and ice.
- The City of Toledo has regulations to keep sidewalks clear of snow & ice. These regulations are in place to ensure the safety of all pedestrians in our community from serious injury and life-threatening hazards; whether they are U.S. Postal Carriers, children walking to school, or citizens using public transit.
- Winter weather conditions such as snow and ice can be a barrier to those walking or biking. When sidewalks are snow and ice covered students and community members are forced to walk in the streets, which are often narrowed due to snow that has been plowed.
- There are also properties where the disabled and elderly may need assistance, as well as properties that have been abandoned and property owners cannot be located. These sidewalks are creating a safety hazard as students and community members are walking or biking.
- The City of Toledo, Live Well and Toledo Public Schools are encouraging community members to consider being a “Snow Angel”, by helping those in their neighborhood in need of assistance shoveling their walks or the walks of homes that are unoccupied.
It’s the neighborly thing to do! Help Keep Toledo Walkable.
Questions? Call Engage Toledo at 419-936-2020 or
Live Well, Safe Routes to School Coordinator, Jenny Hansen at 419-725-7845 or 419-699-8040.
YouTube Video link for 30 second video spot: https://youtu.be/fOXRK16eZjQ
Posted by Stacy Weber on Friday, January 15, 2016.