SBH is responsible for:
1. Bridge Inspection – To inspect annually bridges over 10 feet in span as required by ODOT to ensure safety for vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
2. Bridge Maintenance - Clean scuppers, expansion joints, bearings, remove unwanted vegetation, apply protective coatings to bridges to extend life and reduce repair costs.
3. Bridge Repair - Perform minor repairs that extend the life of the bridge 2 to 5 years.
4. Bridge Rehabilitation/Replacement - Use a combination of capital improvement program dollars and grant funds to extend the life of bridges 25-75 years.
5. Guardrail Installation and Repair - Install or repair guardrail along roadways near ditches and bridge embankments as determined necessary by federal regulations.
CURRENT CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
MARENGO BRIDGE OVER RAVINE NEAR DELAWARE PARK
Marengo Street Bridge was closed to all vehicular traffic in May of 2016 due to structural failure. A grant has been secured from the Ohio Department of Transportation for construction in fiscal year 2019. The project is currently in its early design phase.
MAUMEE AVENUE OVER NORFOLK SOUTHERN RAILROAD
Originally constructed in 1980, the Maumee St. Bridge over the Norfolk Southern Railroad is a three span, pre-stressed concrete box beam superstructure built on modified gravity stone piers and abutments. New construction will provide ample space to accommodate a third railroad track, as well as increased vertical clearance for the rail cars. The new bridge will provide a larger turning radius for buses. This bridge is currently in final agreement stages, awaiting needed utility relocations before construction can begin. The bridge is being replaced with a grant from the Ohio Department of Transportation Municipal Bridge Fund.