Customer Service During COVID-19
Thank you for being our customer. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have temporarily closed the customer walk-in center. Here are other ways you can reach us:
- Call 419-245-1800 from Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Monthly billing is in place for all retail customers. Read more about monthly billing.
How can I pay my bill?
- Make individual utility payments through your bank or credit union.
- Drop payment into the Utilities Dropbox in front of 420 Madison Avenue.
- Set up automatic payment plans through online billing.
- Mail check or money order via U.S. Postal Service like the majority of customers.
A $3.95 transaction fee per $400 is charged any time you pay with a credit or debit card.
METER READINGS DURING COVID-19
The Toledo Department of Public Utilities, under the advisement of the U.S. EPA and Ohio EPA, is not collecting inside meter readings at this time, but we are continuing to collect all Remote Transmitter reads, which account for 47 percent of the approximately 120,000 meters.
A large portion of our customers will receive estimated reads during the COVID-19 crisis. We encourage those customers to review their bill and follow the following process to ensure that we get their actual read information within the timeframe needed.
How often will my meter be read?
- Customers should usually anticipate two monthly estimates and then an actual read to “true up” the account every three months. Actual meter readings are suspended as we work to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Customers are encouraged to read water meters and report the usage amount by calling 419-245-1800, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m to 3 p.m. or by emailing email@example.com.
How can I read my own meter?
Click the images below to view in more detail.
How do I know it’s time for my meter reading to be taken and I should call it in?
- If you received your last quarterly bill in October, your scheduled reading months are January, April, July, and October.
- If you received your last quarterly bill in November, your scheduled reading months are February, May, August, and November.
- If you received your last quarterly bill in December, your scheduled reading months are March, June, September, and December.
- To find the date you should read your inside meter, look at the field “next scheduled read.”
- This read can be called in no later than 2 business days after the scheduled read date.
Bill pay assistance
The bill pay assistance program has been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At this time, water service will not be discontinued due to non-payment. If you need your water turned back on, please call Engage Toledo at 419-936-2020. All late fees for water bills have been suspended.
Water emergency and repair turn-off service
Call 419-936-2020 and press #1 to report a water main break or other water emergency, providing the closest street address and intersection. Toledo Public Utilities monitors this number 24 hours a day and investigates leaks and breaks as soon as possible. We provide water turn-off service for repairs at no charge from 7 am until 10:30 pm seven days a week from this number.
Preventing sewer backups
You can help prevent sewer backups by never flushing baby wipes or sanitizing wipes down the toilet. Watch this video to learn more.