Section 79 Vote, Regional Water Public Meetings
Toledo Mayor Kapszukiewicz today announced his administration would seek to have a referendum to create a new regional water authority.
Mayor Kapszukiewicz said voters should decide on the creation of the Toledo Area Water Authority if Toledo City Council approves an ordinance before it.
“We have come to the opinion that if city council moves forward with the ordinance that is before it, it will trigger a section 79 vote of the citizens,” the mayor said. “That is an opinion that our law director and my administration embraces.”
The law firm Squire, Patton, Boggs was consulted by the city law department. It concurs that a referendum is prudent, the mayor said.The mayor’s comments can be viewed here.
A series of public meetings on regional water and the proposed Toledo Area Water Authority will be held at six locations during the month of March.
Leaders from Toledo, Lucas County, Maumee, Perrysburg, Sylvania, Whitehouse, Fulton County, Monroe County, and the Northwestern Water and Sewer District signed a memorandum of understanding regarding regional water on Jan. 31. Toledo Mayor Wade Kapszukiewicz invited all to attend the meetings, which were scheduled with the six district Toledo council members. There will be one meeting in each council district.
The meetings will be:·
- Thursday, March 1, 5:30-7:30 p.m.Council District 2, Bowsher High School, 2200 Arlington Ave.
- Thursday, March 8, 5:30-7:30 p.m.Council District 3, East Toledo Family Center, 1020 Varland Ave.
- Thursday, March 15, 6-7:30 p.m.Council District 5, Sanger Branch Library, 3030 West Central Ave.
- Thursday, March 22, 6-8 p.m.Council District 6, Friendship Park Community Center, 2930 131st St.
- Monday, March 26, 6-7:30 p.m.Council District 1, Gesu Sullivan Center, 2049 Parkside Blvd.
- Thursday, March 29, 5:30-7:30 p.m.Council District 4, Nexus Healthcare, 1415 Jefferson Ave.
For more information, go to: http://toledo.oh.gov/regional-water/ or https://www.toledowater.org
The city of Toledo supports the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact Joan A. Easler, city of Toledo ADA coordinator at 419-245-1059 at least 72 hours before the meeting/event/ activity start time.