Who We Are
The Youth Advisory Board is comprised of 12 to 18 students, ages 14 to 18, who serve a two-year term on the board. The board will meet monthly to bring a youth perspective and help with the decision-making regarding various aspects of the city park system. From recreation, programming, and park designs, members of the board will learn various aspects of park operation and city government. All will focus on improving youth participation and attendance in their neighborhood parks and the city’s 129 park system. Members are selected to serve as officers and lead board meetings.
What We Do
- Engage with park and recreation department staff to build a park system that will be inclusive of the city’s youth.
- Promote youth concerns in the city of Toledo.
- Implement community projects to help address youth needs through action teams.
- Create plans of action to engage more youth in the city park system.
- Plan and run our own meetings.
- Selected through an application and interview process, and committed to a two-year term.
- Meet the first Thursday of every month, 1 to 2 hours, time TBD. Members must be able to handle time commitment.
- Gain experience in leadership, business etiquette, community service and park operations.
- Willing to work and open to learning, desire to make a positive difference for youth in the city of Toledo.
- Provide a youth perspective to parks and recreation, commissioner, parks, recreation management and city management.
- Participate in special functions and various events.
Interested in joining?
We are currently opening the process for youth to apply for the Parks and Recreation Youth Advisory Board. Each spring, current 8th - 11th graders who live in the city will have the opportunity to apply for the next school year. No previous leadership experience is necessary.
The parks and recreation department, various park advisory board members and community leaders will review applications and interview applicants. New members will be invited to join based on their potential to positively contribute to the board’s work and their capacity to represent the diversity of the city of Toledo youth community.
Applications are due by July 2nd, 2021. The application requires at least one letter of recommendation from someone other than a relative.
For more information, call Parks and Recreation at 419-245-3357.