How to Become a Licensed Mobile Food Vendor in Toledo
Anyone selling from food from a truck, trailer, cart, or other mobile rigs must follow state, county, and city regulations regarding mobile food.
1. State of Ohio
The State of Ohio Department of Taxation requires mobile food vendors to have a valid transient vendor license.
- Complete your transient vendor license application
- $25 application fee
2. Toledo-Lucas County Health Department
The TLC Health Department performs operation plan reviews and food safety inspections for mobile food vendors. Passing vendors will receive a mobile food unit license.
- Complete your mobile food unit license application
- Free application
- License must be renewed whenever there are changes to menu, equipment, or process
3. Proof of insurance
The City of Toledo requires liability insurance for all mobile food vendors operating in Toledo. The amount of liability coverage is dependent on the type of vendor:
- $1,000,000 for motorized mobile food vending trucks or trailers
- $300,000 for pushcarts
4. Fire Safety Inspection
- Schedule your inspection with Toledo Fire & Rescue Fire Prevention Bureau at 419-245-1140
- Complete the propane pressure leak test with a Licensed Bonded Professional (LBP) in accordance with NFPA, DOT, and OFC standards
- Fill out the mobile food unit inspection form (last two pages) and bring it to your scheduled fire inspection
- Inspection is included in $50 registration with the City of Toledo License Bureau
- Inspection must be repeated annually
5. City of Toledo
The City of Toledo requires mobile food units to register with the Department of Finance. This should be your final step, as you will be required to show proof of all the above.
- File a certificate of tax compliance with the Division of Taxation
- Submit your mobile food unit registration form or apply online
- $50 registration fee
- Registration must be updated annually
Things to Remember
- Operate anywhere you can park legally, in the direction of the curbside. [TMC 746.02 (h)]
- Obtain permission to sell in a City park from the Division of Parks, Recreation, and Forestry by emailing email@example.com.
- Use proper flashing lights and signage when stopping temporarily. [TMC 746.03]
- Keep the public right-of-way clear and allow for ADA compliant access. [TMC 746.02 (b)]
- Don’t sell to someone in a vehicle that is stopped in traffic. [TMC 746.02 (f)]
- Obtain permission to use City electrical outlets. [TMC 746.02 (e)]
- Provide space for customers to maintain 6 feet of separation from each other. [Ohio Department of Health]
- Don’t provide tables or chairs for customer use. [Lucas County Health Commissioner]