We Love A Good Party

The City of Toledo is happy to assist in getting your special event through necessary permits and permissions processes. Give us some details about the big day, and we'll follow up with the next steps! Applications must be completed in full and fees must be paid in full at least 30 days prior to the event, so we recommend starting this process as early as possible.

Apply For A Special Event Permit Now

When Do I Need A Permit?

A special event permit is required for any event that:

  • is expected to draw more than 10,000 people
  • is held on or will affect public property/right-of-way,
  • will require support/resources from the City of Toledo.
Ask a Question

What Can I Expect?

Request Submitted

45 days prior to event

After completing the special event permit application, your request will be reviewed and you will receive follow-up communication within 10 business days.

Additional Information Submitted

If your event requires additional permits or liability insurance, you will be asked to provide additional application materials.

Payment completed

30 days prior to event

Your total permit cost will be calculated according to this schedule of fees and will be sent to you once your application is approved. Checks can be dropped off or mailed to:

Division of Parks, Recreation, and Forestry

Permit Issued

Your official permit will be emailed to you prior to your event date.

Event Guide

Liability Insurance

The sponsoring group or person is required to carry general liability insurance for certain events. If liability insurance is required, you will be notified within 2 business days of submitting the Special Events Application. The applicant must submit a copy of the Certificate of Insurance not less than 30 days prior to the first day of the event. Applicants will be required to secure a short-term rider to their liability insurance in the amount of one million dollars of general liability insurance, naming the City of Toledo as added insured. Groups leasing City facilities must furnish a certificate of comprehensive liability insurance. The certificate must name the City as insured, with coverage of not less than one million dollars for any and all injuries to or death of one person and one million dollars for any and all injuries to or death of more than one person in any single occurrence insuring the City against any and all claims, demands, actions, or causes of action which may arise, of any nature, kind or description whatsoever, resulting from the use of the City's premises or participation in or attendance at the facility and one hundred thousand dollars for any single occurrence of property damage.

Block Parties

Block party event coordinators are responsible for picking up and returning barricades for street closures. Event coordinators must schedule barricade pick up and drop off at least 14 days before their event. If you are hosting a residential block party, a Block Party Petition must be signed by an adult resident from at least 70% of houses within the street blocks requested to be closed. Block parties held downtown are assessed on a case by case basis. You will be notified if your downtown block party requires a Block Party Petition with signatures from affected businesses.

Block Party Permit Application


The event coordinator is responsible for scheduling barricade pick up and drop off. If your event requires less than 30 barricades and no major road closures, the barricades will be dropped off and picked up by the City. The event coordinator will be responsible for set up and teardown. If the event requires more than 30 barricades and/or major road closure, the City of Toledo will handle drop off, set up, tear down, and pick up of the barricades. Qualified police officers must be posted at all intersections along parade routes. You will be charged per hour, per officer, for a minimum of three hours. For current rates, please contact Toledo Police Patrolmans' Association at 419-241-8914.

Vendor Licensing

To ensure that your event runs smoothly, please confirm that all vendors that will be present at your event are licensed by the City of Toledo. View all license and permit applications.

Food Vendors

In addition to being licensed, food vendors must be inspected by the Toledo-Lucas County Health Department. Food vendors operating out of food trucks or mobile food units must be inspected annually by the Toledo Fire Department.

Mobile Food Vendor Guide


A tent permit and tent inspection are required for tents larger than 400 square feet. Tent permits are obtained by submitting a Tent Permit Application. Site and floor plans must be submitted along with the Tent Permit Application. The cost of a tent permit includes $78 for tent plan review, a $75 permit fee for the first tent, and $25 permit fee for each additional tent. The State of Ohio charges a 3% surcharge for commercial occupancy and a 1% surcharge for residential occupancy. Your tent must be completely set-up and ready for use at the time of inspection, otherwise, re-inspection fees will apply. Event organizers only need to submit one tent permit application per event.

Tent Permit and Inspections Guide


If stages will be present at your event, they must be licensed and inspected. If the stage is for residential use, the stage permit costs $60 plus $0.20 per square foot for the permit, and $50 plus $0.03 per square foot for the plan review. If the stage is for commercial use, the stage permit costs $75 plus $0.20 per square foot for the permit and $75 plus $0.03 per square foot for the plan review. There is a 100 square foot minimum for all projects. The State of Ohio charges a 3% surcharge for commercial occupancy and a 1% surcharge for residential occupancy. Certificates of occupancy cost $75 each. Event Organizers only need to submit one stage permit application per event.

City Parks

Events held within a city park will be subject to availability. You can view the list of City-owned parks and facilities here. If you're looking for information on sporting events, please view the sporting event field and facility rental information here.


The Ohio Department of Commerce oversees liquor permitting in public spaces. All events planning on serving alcohol will need to apply for an F-2 permit, and the Toledo Mayor and Chief of Police will eventually need to sign off.


If your event is taking place within the downtown or uptown outdoor refreshment areas (DORA/ORA), please visit the DORA page for more information.


A fireworks exhibition permit application must be completed and sent to the Toledo Fire Prevention Bureau for review and approval. The application must be signed off on by Toledo Fire Department Chief Armstrong and Toledo Police Chief Troendle before being sent to the State Fire Marshal’s Office for approval. Only a licensed fireworks operator may operate fireworks in the state of Ohio.

Other Forms