Department of Public Utilities Debt Forgiveness Announcement
The City of Toledo Department of Public Utilities Debt Forgiveness program begins Oct. 1 to help residents catch up on past due water bills, Toledo Mayor Wade Kapszukiewicz and Councilmember Nick Komives, chair of council’s water quality and sustainability committee, announced today.
The announcement can be watched at this link.
“Due to the pandemic, there has been an increased number of residents in distress with past due water bills, and the City of Toledo wants to help,” Mayor Kapszukiewicz said. “Low-income, senior, and disabled residents are eligible to have their past due balances forgiven. This is another example of a program that we think can make a real difference in the lives of people who are struggling.”
Eligible charges include water, storm water, and sewer costs prior to Oct. 1. Outstanding balances incurred after Oct. 1, or from trash charges, will be eligible for an installment payment plan, but not for debt forgiveness.
Eligible residents must:
- live within the City of Toledo.
- have past due charges of at least $200 (water, sewer, and storm water) from prior to Oct. 1, 2021.
- have an income at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level (300 percent for seniors or disabled customers).
- must stay current on all new charges while enrolled in the program.
Beginning Oct. 1, residents can call 419-245-1800, or visit toledo.oh.gov/debt-forgiveness, to register. Residents may also call Engage Toledo at 419-936-2020 and will be transferred.
The City of Toledo will host several community forums to speak to residents about debt forgiveness and help enroll residents in the program. The meetings will be held 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. as follows:
- Monday, Oct. 4 at the Locke Branch Library, 703 Miami St.
- Tuesday, Oct. 5 at the Point Place Branch Library, 2727 117th St.
- Wednesday, Oct. 6 at the Sanger Branch Library, 3030 Central Ave.
- Thursday, Oct. 7 at the Heatherdowns Branch Library, 3265 Glanzman Rd.
- Monday, Oct. 11 at the South Branch Library, 1736 Broadway
- Tuesday, Oct. 12 at the Kent Branch Library, 3101 Collingwood Blvd.
- Wednesday, Oct. 13 at the Washington Branch Library, 5560 Harvest Ln.
- Thursday, Oct. 14, West Toledo Branch Library, 1320 Sylvania Ave.
- Monday, Oct. 18 at the Toledo Heights Branch Library, 423 Shasta Dr.
- Tuesday, Oct. 19 at the Mott Branch Library, 1010 Dorr St.