Eligible applicants, whether individual or entity, meet the following criteria:
- Applicant owns the building for which they are applying
- Applicant is in good standing with governmental entities (i.e. current on income tax, property tax, utilities, code violations, fees).Eligible Buildings (sub header)
Eligible buildings must:
- Have no code violations
- Be either vacant or occupied
- Project sites with vacancies are required to provide a marketing plan that demonstrates their intention to actively market the property for commercial, industrial, or mixed-uses.
- Be located in a low-to-moderate income census tract of the city of Toledo
A building's eligibility is determined by use, not zoning.
Eligible buildings include:
- Commercial use (non-residential)
- Industrial use
- Mixed-use (integrated commercial and residential uses)
Project sites with an exclusively single-family residential or multi-family residential use are not eligible. A building may be eligible for more than one grant if the facade spans more than one tax parcel.
The Facade Improvement Grant provides funding for a comprehensive enhancement to a building's facade. Eligible projects include replacement, repair, or addition of at least two of the expenses below. Eligible expenses must be located on private property.
Eligible expenses include:
- Building facing materials
- Gutters and down spouts
- Permanent deck
- Permanent patio
- Exterior lighting (including lighting directed on the building, but not attached to it)
- Exterior painting
- Non-commercial artist mural approved by The Arts Commission
- Walk-up service window
- Permanent patio or deck
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) assessment recommendations for the building facade.
Ineligible expenses include:
- Sidewalks located on public property
All enhancements must comply with zoning and building codes to be eligible for the Facade Improvement Grant. Any eligible expense incurred prior to the execution of the Facade Improvement Grant Agreement, or work performed without required permits, is ineligible.
A minimum of three quotes is required for each eligible expense. Quotes must confirm adherence to Davis Bacon requirements, be on contractor letterhead, and clearly identify the scope of work and estimated cost. Contractors shall have required licensing, bond, and insurance, and all work shall be performed according to applicable codes (i.e. Ohio Revised Code and Toledo Municipal Code).
Projects shall be completed within 12 months of the Effective Date of the Facade Improvement Grant Agreement.
For questions please email Steven Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org