Toledo Water Bill Changes
Here are the changes that took effect in 2020:
- Expanded customer service hours
- No more minimum water charges
- Monthly billing
- Senior water discount program
- Bill-paying assistance for low-income customers
- More information
- Total monthly water costs
Expanded customer service hours
The Customer Service Walk-In Center at 420 Madison Ave. remains closed due to COVID-19.
No More Minimum Water Charges
In January 2020 Toledo Public Utilities eliminated minimum water charges to allow customers to reduce their utility costs based on actual water consumption and conservation efforts.
Monthly billing is in place for all retail customers.
How can I pay my bill?
- Make individual utility payments through your bank or credit union.
- Drop payment into the Utilities Dropbox in front of 420 Madison Ave.
- Pay in person at the Toledo Public Utilities Walk-In Center at 420 Madison Ave. on regular business days.
- Set up automatic payment plans through online billing.
- Mail check or money order via U.S. Postal Service like the majority of customers.
A $3.95 transaction fee per $400 is charged any time you pay with a credit or debit card.
How often will my meter be read?
- Customers should anticipate two monthly estimates and then an actual read to “true-up” the account every three months.
- If you feel your monthly estimate is too high, please call our customer service number with your actual meter reading.
Will monthly billing affect fixed prices such as refuse, water minimum, and sewer fixed?
- All utility and refuse expenses will be paid in 12 smaller payments, rather than 4 larger payments.
- The major change is that there will be a modest fixed fee for water and volume charges based on usage only—no more minimum water charges.
Will costs go up because of monthly billing?
- No. However, costs for utility services will gradually increase over time.
- Customers will have greater control over their costs because charges will be tied directly to water usage.
Will installment plans be affected?
- Current installment plans for customers will continue as usual, with new charges billed on a monthly basis.
- At this time, installment plans will not be included on monthly billing statements.
Senior Water Discount Program
Who qualifies for the discount program?
- Residents who are 65 years or older
- Own your own single-family home
- Bill must be in your name
- Residents who are permanently or totally disabled
What services are discounted?
- Sewer water
- Storm water
How do I apply for the program?
If I already receive the Senior Water Discount, do I need to reapply?
- No. The discount will continue as long as no changes in ownership or occupancy occur.
- It is the responsibility of the customer to notify the Department of Public Utilities of any such changes.
More questions about the Senior Water Discount Program?
Bill-paying Assistance for Low-Income Customers
Toledo Public Utilities will provide up to $500,000 each year to assist low-income customers to pay their utility bills. Assistance is coordinated through ProMedica Ebeid Institute’s Financial Opportunity Center (FOC).
Who is eligible for the program?
- Households at or below 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Level will be eligible for assistance; hardship is also considered.
- Assistance is for the primary residence of qualifying consumers.
- Account must be past due or in disconnection status. (Actual disconnection is not required; consumers disconnected within the past month may be eligible.)
- The client may be required to make some portion of the payment to maintain water service.
- Balances must be for the same account holder at the same address. No funds can be used for balances transferred to another property.
Can I qualify if I’m a renter?
- Low-income renters who pay the utility bills can be considered through completing and submitting the Landlord Tenant Agent Authorization Form.
How do I apply?
- Contact Toledo Public Utilities Customer Service by email at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- by phone at 419-245-1800;
- or in person at the Customer Service Walk-In Center, 420 Madison Ave.
- Qualifying consumers will be contacted by ProMedica Ebeid Institute's FOC and asked to provide follow up documentation and interviews as necessary.
Total monthly water costs